Spring break ideas
Spring is approaching quickly! 🌸 Are you looking for great family-friendly destination ideas for spring break? Read on for our best spring break trips and tips for families. 👍
Here at Flytographer, we easily connect people with trusted photographers for fun photo shoots and have captured over 4M memories worldwide. 🌎 The magic of Flytographer is both the experience and the photos. Explore the city with a fun, talented photographer, and get wall-worthy photos to relive your trip, forever. 👏 Today, we asked our local photographers to share their best spring break ideas for families — their favourite getaway destinations, experiences, and more — so let’s spring to it! 😉
- Best spring break destinations: We’re sharing some of our favourite recommendations across the globe, whether you’re wanting warm and beachy or the ski trip of your dreams!
- Family-friendly experiences: Highlighting adventure activities, parks, and educational experiences, we’re sharing ideas for everyone in your crew.
- Helpful packing tips: Time for our tried-and-true packing tips, from clothing to essentials to airport prep. Remember to think smarter, not harder!
- Spring break must-haves: Sharing fun upgrades to your run-of-the-mill vacation essentials.
- Capturing spring break memories: Capturing your family time together is the most perfect souvenir, and we have the best solution for those beautiful digital photos in print form!
Best spring break destinations
Let’s talk destinations. ✈️ We’ll cover some favourite destinations spanning the globe, whether you want to stay close by or travel far. Day trip, road trip, or international jet-setting — let’s get dreaming about the best Spring Break ideas! 👋
American dreams 🇺🇸 are plentiful in endless locations around the country — some faves? Orlando, Florida (theme parks galore!); New York, New York (sights and shows!); Washington, DC (cherry blossoms!); San Diego, California (the zoo! the beach!); Savannah, Georgia (southern charm!); Denver, Colorado (ski trip, please!); Miami, Florida (white sand beaches!). Warm or cold, beach or mountain, the US has so much to offer in terms of spring break escapes. 🆒
2. Mexico, South and Central America, and the Islands of the Caribbean
If you want a sure-bet trip filled with warmth and sunshine, heading south to Mexico, South and Central America, or the Caribbean Islands may be ideal for your family spring break getaway.❣️ Guanacaste, Costa Rica (natural beauty and mountain ziplining!); Playa del Carmen, Mexico (all-inclusive resorts!); Aruba in the Caribbean Islands (unique cultures and dreamy beaches!) — start here and narrow down the ideal sunny spot for your family based on vacation experiences everyone can enjoy. 💘
Helloooo, world! 🗺 If you’re feeling like this is the time to tackle an international trip, we completely support this Spring Break idea. Spring break is a great option for international travel as the weather is oftentimes milder, and crowds are less than in the (peak) summer season. Some of our faves? Tokyo, Japan (a visual delight!); Amsterdam, Netherlands (tulips anyone!?); Zurich, Switzerland (don’t miss skiing in the Swiss Alps!); Mauritius, Africa (breathtaking beaches!). Just a few of our favourites here at Flytographer. 📸
If you’re looking for family-friendly, kid-friendly experiences, spring break excursions are a perfect time to let loose and explore new places in new ways. 🥳
1. Adventure activities
Attention adrenaline junkies, thrill-seekers, and serious explorers! 😀 If you love road trips, water sports, and outdoor activities, these are the adventures your crew will go crazy for during your spring break vacation.
- Deep dive into nature 🧗♀️— whether it’s hiking, horseback riding, kayaking and snorkeling, or exploring a waterfall and/or hot spring — see what natural resources are nearby and how to enjoy them to the max. No matter where you are, nature is close by, so think outside the box when it comes to finding adventure activities! Whether these adventures include natural resources or wildlife, you’re certain to find an adventure activity provided by nature.
- Polaris Adventures 🏎 is one of our favourite companies for those seeking adventure experiences — with over 250 destinations and 400+ experiences, Polaris Adventures is IT when it comes to adrenaline and scenery. From boats to sports cars to snowmobiles to ATV’s … we could go on and on. 🤘 Family travel jumps to another level when it comes to one of these wild outdoor adventures! Outsourcing your exploration to others who know how to max out adrenaline is a great idea to make the most of your surroundings, particularly for thrill-seekers.
You knew this was coming! We’re talking amusement parks and water parks, as well as national parks and even botanical gardens. 🎟
- We would be remiss not to talk about theme parks like Disney World, Legoland, Universal Studios, Six Flags, and more. 🎡 Orlando is one of our favourite spring break destinations because Orlando has it all, and Orlando Vacation is a great resource to build your own vacation package!
- Viator is a perfect site to visit 👩💻 for incredible park experiences throughout the world — visit Viator to prep and to plan your park adventures.
- Remember that parks don’t necessarily include white-knuckle roller coasters! State Parks and national Parks 🏞 (hello, Grand Canyon!), botanical gardens, and other green spaces can be a wonderful reason to visit an area — both for those wanting thrills and those wanting some connectivity and reflection. ⛲️
3. Educational exploration experiences
We’re big on creating lasting memories here at Flytographer (and gifting experiences too!). Here are our suggestions for experiences that will be the perfect addition to a spring break getaway. They can be customized 💡 to individual cities/areas and are perfect to save in your back pocket for inclement weather! ☔️
- Museums, art galleries, and cultural experiences 🖼 can be found anywhere you go — look for local city web pages to find calendars of events, exhibitions, and more.
- Experience First is a fantastic resource for educational tours, travel guides, and special experiences around the world. If you want to see new places with people who have put in all the preparation for you, try an experience like this 🆕 and combine fun with learning as you enjoy your spring break vacay!
Helpful packing tips
We’re going to share some of our top helpful packing tips to make sure you’re feeling stress-free and not laden with heavy luggage! Remember — think smarter, not harder. 🙃
- Layers, layers, layers! 🧥 Pack clothing that works well together, in terms of fit, colour, and style. Lay everything out and try it on — choose to bring clothing that works well with at least a couple of other pieces 👖 to save from bringing home clothes that never saw the light of day.
- Think of the weather. If rain is in the forecast, remember to bring items that won’t be ruined by gloomy forecasts. If the weather isn’t looking favorable, throw in ponchos and/or an umbrella — even though they aren’t cute, it’ll save you a lot of money bringing them from home 🌂 rather than buying them on vacay! 💸
- Versatile shoes 👟 will save the day. We promise. Save the new kicks for another time, and make sure what you bring is worn in (emphasis on worn in prior to leaving town), comfortable, and goes well with the other items in your suitcase. Feeling good and looking good are the perfect match.
- If you’re looking for a few new pieces to enjoy on vacation, we love Kotn. 👕 Known for ethical and sustainable clothes, Kotn makes basic essentials perfect for travel — comfy, cute, and friendly to the environment. ♻️
2. Travel essentials
- Nothing ruins a vacation quicker than the realization that you’ve forgotten or misplaced your ID or passport. Make sure essentials are in a safe place and are accessible quickly in the airport — we love utilizing secret pockets in bags 🎒 and making sure those documents are the only ones in that pocket. It helps ensure they don’t fall out when you’re reaching for other items like snacks or AirPods. Having a separate handy spot for other travel essentials like chargers, a first aid kit, gum, etc. will save you from at least a few headaches. 😅
3. Airport preparation
- Grouping airport items separately from supplies you’ll need later in the day (as in, closer to hotel check-in time) is a huge time and stress saver while you’re navigating airport travel — especially if you have kids! Pack kids’ backpacks with their specific items or use a separate canvas or foldable grocery bag (which can be stored when empty) to hold water bottles (keep them empty until you’re through security), snacks, games/toys (without small pieces), comfort items, and fully charged electronics. Remember that many airports 🛃 still have you take liquids and electronics out of bags, so this is a great time for kids to help with their water bottles and devices in their own bins as you move through security.
Spring break must-haves
Our last short list of recommendations is what we classify as some spring break must-haves! These are fun upgrades to your run-of-the-mill vacation essentials.
Capturing memories on spring break
We hope we’ve given you some Spring Break ideas your whole family 👩👩👧 can enjoy for your vacation! Whether you’re more adventurous or laid-back, spring break is the perfect time of year to travel together and create wonderful memories. We also want to remind you that capturing your time together is the most perfect souvenir! Booking a Flytographer shoot is always a good idea, and with pro photographers all over the world, we’ve got your location covered! For even more travel inspo, check out this post about the Top 10 Trending Destinations in 2024. 🛄
Post-spring break travel (and Flytographer shoot😜), don’t forget to do something with those amazing photos! Aside from wall art, we highly recommend printing a photo book 📚 so that you can relive those memories again and again! (More about Flytographer photo books here.)
Happy spring break planning!
30,000+ 5 Star reviews from across the globe!
“Enzo was able to capture photos with great composition whilst all of his subjects are looking at their best! As for the experience, wow! How did you make my little boy laugh? When I read Enzo’s profile, he mentioned that he can make kids laugh.. oh I was skeptical. We always take our family pictures every year and for the last 6 years, never ever that my little boy laugh ( as a matter of fact – he is always grumpy towards pictures) until Enzo did his photographs! And it was also a very genuine laugh! I would say, upon meeting Enzo, it felt as if he is a long time friend that we haven’t seen in ages and with delight started taking our family photos.”
“Gan was fabulous to work with. He immediately reached out to me via WhatsApp upon booking our shoot & contacted me again before our shoot. He was immediately so warm and friendly to work with which put our entire family at ease including our 5 year old and 1.5 year old who don’t always warm up to the camera. We hope that we can return to Singapore and work with Gan again!”
Gardens by the Bay
“Anibal was phenomenal! With a multi-generational photo shoot, there were a lot of moving parts and different ages and energy levels. Anibal was incredibly professional, calm, and made us all feel like the photos were just one more fun part of our vacation. The actual photos are absolutely beautiful and we couldn’t love them more. What a special way to remember our family holiday and time in Puerto Vallarta.”