It doesn’t get more romantic than a destination proposal.
As our Flytographer Kimon in Santorini puts it, “A proposal is a grand gesture that deserves a grand location.” And we couldn’t agree more. The world is big, the options are endless… but after helping people propose all around the world we believe Santorini is the best proposal location of 2019, and here’s why.
1. Killer geography = dramatic views. Santorini’s geography makes it a very unique (and beautiful) Greek island. Santorini is the result of a volcano, and so it has high cliffs and looks out onto a large volcanic crater, or caldera, that’s been filled with the Aegean Sea. The result is that from every point on the island you can look out and see panoramic views of the ocean and Santorini’s uninterrupted, crazy-beautiful sunsets. If you want drama, you want romance, this is IT.
2. “The balcony to the Aegean Sea.” Kimon, one of our top Flytographers in Santorini loves the town of Imerovigli, because it’s known as the “balcony of the Aegean Sea.” “It’s the highest village on the caldera cliffs and has the most sweeping views of the volcano islands, Aspro, Nisi and Therasia,” says Kimon. “Its architecture is a vast expanse of white iconic buildings and when the sun is shining, everything just glows.”
3. A history of romance. Santorini might have first gotten its romantic reputation from the cult classic Italian film Summer Lovers. Peter Gallagher, Daryl Hannah and Santorini’s hot beaches and sunsets, say no more. It’s what Under the Tuscan Sun did for Tuscany, or Lord of the Rings did for New Zealand. But with more romance and fewer orcs.
5. Easy romantic activities. Santorini’s main towns, Oia and Fira, are loaded with little boutiques for easy shopping and meandering on foot. You can also book a wine tour and travel around with other couples to Santorini’s best wineries for tastings and a gorgeous wine-and-food pairing lunch.
6. Every restaurant has a view. Even if you don’t have a reservation, you can find insane patio views everywhere, for any budget. That said, if you’re proposing on the trip, going all out at one of Santorini’s most beautiful rooftop restaurants is a surefire hit. We like Petra Restaurant at the Canaves Oia Suites or Sphinx restaurant in Fira.
7. World-famous sunsets. It’s the kind of thing you just have to see to get why it’s such a big deal. But the Oia sunset is a big tourist draw in Santorini. This particular hike/walk can get a bit crowded though, so you might want to scout out some more private viewpoints for your proposal.
8. Jaw-droppingly beautiful hotels. The hotel stay is essential to the romantic getaway, particularly for a proposal trip, and Santorini delivers. Picture infinity pools carved into the rock, private patios for just the two of you, and ocean views that start when you wake up and don’t stop until you close your eyes. A few of our top picks: Astra Suites (iconic white plaster suites, cliff pool) or Adronis Luxury Suites (private jacuzzi in the rocks, indoor cave plunge-pool).
9. The relaxed vibe. The people are friendly, easygoing, and it feels like everyone is on vacation. That means there will be no stressful commute to get to your reservation, no yelling in traffic, no rude service, because it’s hard to be in a bad mood when it’s just so gosh darn beautiful everywhere you look. And the clothes: comfy linens pants and breezy beach wrap dresses—we are all about it.
10. The food. Happy stomach, equals happy vacation. Saganaki (fried cheese with a squeeze of fresh lemon), fresh-from-the-sea calamari and mountainous plates of cucumber and dill tzatziki the likes of which you’ve only dreamed of. Amazing food, amazing location, what more could you ask for?