It’s summer, the kids are officially on break from school and it’s time to take off for your annual family vacation. Heading to Paris? We’ve gathered our favourite family-friendly Parisian activities to help make your trip planning a piece of cake, or should we say, “une part de gâteau.”
1. Disneyland Paris: Yep, Paris has its own version of “the happiest place on Earth” and since this park was designed to entertain the littles, there’s something for kids of all ages. Favourite activities include Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast, during which kids of all ages help Buzz Lightyear with their very own space cannon, nostalgic horse-drawn streetcars, and Phantom Manor, a mysterious manor full of fun frights. Kids can interact with their favourite Disney characters and enjoy shows and parades. Purchase tickets in advance with a set arrival time and for a discounted ticket price.
2. See Paris from the water: Take a cruise on the River Seine for a fun way to see the city. Green River Cruises offers Sunday family cruises either on the River Seine or along Canal St. Martin. A captain will accompany your family on board and you are welcome to bring food and drinks along for a relaxing picnic. Besides seeing the major sights in an intimate setting, you will get to experience crossing Paris’ locks, which is bound to be a fun, educational experience for the kids.
3. Become a French pastry chef: Sign your kids up for a cooking class while visiting Paris! Cook’n with Class offers a French dessert course for 6-12 year olds. Parents don’t participate in this course, but are welcome to stick around and watch their budding pastry chefs whip up something tasty.
4. Enjoy the great outdoors: Run off that sugar high with a visit to one of Paris’ world-class parks. Parc de la Villette is the largest cultural park in Paris and offers tons of green space and outdoor activities, as well as a secure play area for infants and a playground for older kids up to 13 years old. The park even has a submarine, which kids and adults can tour with an accompanying audio guide.
5. Have fun learning: Cité des Enfants is an adventure playground geared toward 2-12 year olds. Book ahead to ensure entry. This highly interactive museum of sorts welcomes kids to activities focused on six themes: body, communication, TV studio, water games, garden and factory. All activities are designed so kids can participate on their own, without help from adults. For the littlest ones, up to 7 years old, activities focus on the development of their physical, cognitive and spatial skills. But don’t tell the kids they’re learning. They’ll be having so much fun, they won’t even notice.