With remote work on the rise, virtual meetings are commonplace, employees are clocking in from around the world, and online team happy hours are now pajama-pants-friendly. With this shift, a strong and cohesive online presence is more important than ever, and where better to start than with fresh company headshots?
If scheduling professional photographers and coordinating photoshoots for your spread-out team is the overwhelming task you’ve been avoiding on your to-do list, we’ve got a hassle-free solution for coordinating headshot photoshoots for teams big and small. With over 8 years of coordinating photo shoots in over 380 cities worldwide with hand-picked professional photographers, Flytographer has got you covered! After this article, you will be ready to make your whole company shine and get the brand cohesion you are seeking.
Table of Contents
1. Research your industry
A headshot is the new networking handshake. In a virtual world, it’s the first impression that should showcase your professionalism and personality in one quick introduction. If you think of stiff smiles, awkward posing and boring backgrounds when you hear the word headshot, this is your sign to update! A professional photographer can help you infuse creativity and personality into your photos, while still aligning with the tone of your workplace.
What is the tone of your workplace?
- In professional services such as finance, law or real estate, a strong photo immediately instills confidence in your clients. Headshots often accompany pitches, proposals and email signatures, so a low-quality headshot or selfie can portray a lack of preparation and cohesion across your team. Exude confidence, and the clients will come.
- Entrepreneurs, especially in the start-up world, are constantly networking, so having a memorable headshot could be the thing that makes you stand-out from the crowd in that important make-or-break moment.
- For public figures and those working and interacting frequently with the general public, an inviting headshot is the first step to gathering trust and feeling approachable to your audience.
- LinkedIn isn’t just for finding new jobs. Maintaining a strong presence on LinkedIn or your personal portfolio by using an updated, high-quality profile photo is another way to back up your professional skills upon first glance. A grainy, outdated selfie could easily invalidate your entire work experience in a minute in front of important eyes.
2. Plan common visual elements
Colours, patterns, branded backgrounds and outfits are all important considerations when coordinating headshots for remote employees, especially with multiple photographers.
- Consider your brand colours, and choose a simple colour palette for clothing. Those in professional fields like law, medicine and finance will likely opt for a suit and tie, while those in more casual or creative settings may opt for a less formal, business casual look.
- Your background should align with the impression you’re trying to make. A busy or overwhelming background with bright colours and contrast can distract from the focus of the headshot: your employees! That being said, there is room for creativity. Consider having your professional photos taken outdoors to show you in your best light… literally! Natural light is one of the easiest ways to capture a flattering image. City streets, interesting architecture and parks are all options for outdoor sessions. Photos near large windows can bring the natural light indoors, or you can also consider a standard solid background for a studio feel.
- Think about your end result and any editing that you might want. Light retouching can include removing blemishes or smoothing flyaway hair, and more intensive retouching can include background removal and image manipulation. All in all, we believe less is more for a natural look.
- Most importantly, your headshots should reflect who you are, so we recommend avoiding flashy makeup and overdone hairstyles. While you definitely want to put your best foot forward, you should still look like you!
Photo: Elisenda in Washington DC for Flytographer. Ulka has their Modern Business Headshot in Washington DC.
Modern Business Headshots
Let’s get team headshots off your to-do list.
3. Determine where the photos will be displayed
Where your photos will live can also influence the style of your headshots and what types of shots your professional photographer should be sure to capture.
- Will you be using the photos for your company’s About Us page? If you’re highlighting multiple employees in one place, consistent headshots of your staff members is important. Whether it’s matching shirts, a coordinated colour palette or similar posing, the photos can still feel like they were taken in one session even if they were taken across multiple cities and times.
- Are you using your headshots on social media? This is a great opportunity to help humanize your brand! A handful of more candid and casual photos of your staff members can be a great addition to your session.
- Professional email signatures are one of the most frequently viewed places for a headshot, so selfies are definitely not recommended!
Photo: Mary and Maurizo in Positano for Flytographer. Sam has their Modern Business Headshot in Positano.
Photo: Elisenda in Washington DC for Flytographer. Keisha has their Modern Business Headshot in DC.
4. Consider a hassle-free headshot service
With the rise of remote teams, we know that scheduling sessions across multiple cities for team members can easily become a headache to manage. The good news? It’s what we have been doing for the past 8 years! Let’s get your company headshots off your to-do list.
- Our hand-picked roster of photographers available in over 350 cities worldwide ensures that you’re not spending fruitless hours researching photographers. We let you know who’s available and can match the style you’re looking for.
- Our concierge team is here to coordinate photo sessions for your remote team across multiple cities with our headshot photographers for a professional and cohesive final product.
- Consistent pricing and stress-free photos shot on location wherever your employees are based means you can get back to the work you love — we’ll take care of the rest.
Professional headshots for remote teams
Team headshots are one of the easiest ways to put your best foot (and best photo!) forward. Investing in professional headshots for your remote workers isn’t just for looks, it’s an investment in the success of your company and vision. Book your headshot sessions now to make your company shine!