Summer vacation is the time to relax, explore the world and create memories together as a family – it’s also the perfect opportunity to capture some epic photos of the kids! We’ve rounded up the best tips from professional photographers around the globe on getting the most amazing vacation photos with your family.
1. Get down on their level. “It’s important to get down on the kids’ level so that you aren’t shooting down at them, and also letting them have props and just do what they enjoy doing is a good idea.” – Dana in Budapest
Shooting from a lower angle is less intimidating for little ones, and also allows you to capture more of the scenery behind them!
2. Keep it candid and capture the fun. “Encourage the kids to be kids! Let them run, jump, get dirty, and have fun.” – Nicky in Lake Tahoe
“Always have them doing something. If they just have to stand still they will get bored. My favourite: let’s see who can jump the highest.” – Nadine in Amsterdam
3. Avoid the crowds (or at least make it look that way)! “A way to make a crowded place look like you are there alone is to change the point of view. Try to shoot from above or below, and move around until your subject will hide the other people around. You could also use a monument or wall to cover what you don’t want in your frame.” – Roberta in Rome
4. Take advantage of jet lag. “When you’re dealing with jet lag, getting up extra early and catching the sunrise at major tourist spots will help you get photos with gorgeous light and fewer people around.” – Tanja in Vancouver
5. Avoid harsh light. Mid-day sun can cause some serious squinting, shadows, and frowning faces – not fun! Try and find a spot in the shade to be able to capture your kid’s smiling face without the distraction of harsh light in their eyes.
6. Let go of perfection. The aim of vacation photos isn’t to get the most perfect shot – it’s to capture the moment. What may seem like a less-than-stellar snap at the time can turn out to be a family favourite years down the road.
7. Get yourself in the picture! Pass the camera over to someone else to make sure that there are plenty of photos with you actually in them. Down the road, you’ll be glad you took them!
Flytographer is excited to team up with Chatbooks to give away a free 60-minute vacation shoot in any of our 200 destinations around the world – enter HERE!